Choosing the right hosting provider can be a daunting task, especially when you’re looking for one that specifically caters to Django. In this guide, we’ll look at the best hosting for Django, ensuring you can make an informed decision when choosing a hosting provider. 🖥️🖥️
By choosing the right hosting, you’ll be able to focus on code rather than the server infrastructure.
What to look for in the best hosting for Django
Django is a Python-based, free, and open-source web framework that follows the model-view-controller architectural pattern.
Why do you need hosting for Django? Your Django application needs a server to run on, and that’s where hosting comes in. A good hosting provider will not only house your application but also help manage traffic and security.
Let’s take a quick look at what to consider when choosing a web hosting provider specifically for Django:
- 🖱️ Support for Python and Django: Make sure the hosting provider supports the latest version of Python and Django.
- 📈 Scalability: Choose a hosting provider that can accommodate your Django website’s growth and traffic demands.
- 🔧 Reliability and uptime: Look for a hosting provider that offers high uptime guarantees and reliability to prevent website downtime and loss of traffic and revenue.
- 🔒️ Security: Your hosting provider should offer robust security measures such as firewalls, SSL certificates, and regular backups.
- ☎️ Support: Look for a host that offers reliable and efficient customer support to troubleshoot any issues.
Best hosting for Django: Five top options compared
👉 Here are our best picks for top-quality Django hosting:
First on our list of the best hosting for Django is Heroku, a cloud application platform considered to be some of the best hosting for Django.
Heroku stands out with its robust, flexible, and easy-to-use platform, making it a breeze for developers to deploy, manage, and scale Django applications.
Its dynamic nature allows developers to focus on writing their applications without worrying about the underlying infrastructure.
The platform’s compatibility with Django is commendable, as it supports its use straight out of the box, making it an ideal choice for both beginners exploring Django and experienced developers seeking a hassle-free deployment experience.
Django-friendly features ⚙️
- Heroku supports Django on their platform and has a guide to deploying your Django app.
- Ability to scale your server resources dynamically.
- You can run your Django app with Celery for task management.
- Supports multiple databases, including PostgreSQL.
- Provisions for application monitoring and logging.
- Access to useful add-ons such as SSL certificates and caching services.
Here are the various Heroku Hosting pricing plans that are compatible with Django:
- Eco and Basic: Starting at $5.00 per month.
- Production Standard: Starting at $25.00 per month.
- Advanced Performance: Starting at $250.00 per month.
- Enterprise: Must contact sales.
This gives you a baseline of the Heroku pricing, but keep in mind that it’s rather flexible – and can become rather complicated – when adding extras to your plan.
For instance, you can opt for low-cost dynos (isolated Linus containers) or go for higher-powered ones. There are also options to increase the number of dynos you have on a plan.
You can even dive into Postgres support, Data for Redis, and Apache Kafka, all of which offer unique capabilities to control your data.
Considered by many as a haven for Python developers, Python Anywhere offers a unique, user-friendly, and highly efficient platform for deploying Django applications.
This hosting service stands out due to its simplicity and convenience, making it a strong contender in the hosting space.
Not only does it allow you to get your Django app up and running in no time, but it also supports multiple versions of Python, offers various web frameworks, and provides a range of services that cater to both novices and seasoned developers.
Django-friendly features ⚙️
Python Anywhere offers a number of features that make it some of the best hosting for Django:
- Multiple versions of Python, enabling developers to work in the version they are most comfortable with or that their project demands.
- In-browser code editor, to write and edit code directly from their web browser, eliminating the need for any local setup.
- Built-in web-based console for Python, which can be accessed from any device, providing flexibility and convenience.
- Schedule and automate tasks, a feature that can come in handy for Django developers to run scripts at specified intervals.
- Web app configurations such as WSGI and HTTPS, making it easier for Django developers to configure their applications.
- Simple to scale your Django app as needed, providing solutions for both small personal projects and high-traffic web applications.
- Supports various web frameworks, giving Django developers the flexibility to explore and use other frameworks if needed.
Python Anywhere has plans for hobbyist developers and high-traffic web applications. Here’s a look:
- Beginner: Free.
- Hacker Plan: $5.00 per month.
- Web Dev Plan: $12.00 per month.
- Startup Plan: $99.00 per month.
- Custom Plan: $5.00 to $500.00 per month.
Each price increase adds more disk space, scheduled tasks, and power to run a Django website or app. Some of the higher plans also support multiple web apps and unique features like IPython/Jupyter notebook support.
DigitalOcean is known for being simple and affordable, with substantial support for various technologies, including Django.
With a straightforward interface, DigitalOcean makes it easy to deploy, manage, and scale cloud applications faster and more efficiently.
Their ‘Droplets,’ which are flexible Linux-based virtual machines, help get your Django app running quickly.
They also offer managed databases and a variety of other services, which can simplify the process of deploying and managing Django applications.
Due to all of this, DigitalOcean should always be in the conversation on the best hosting for Django.
Django-friendly features ⚙️
- One-click installation process for Django.
- Flexible options to manage your Django application using Reddis, Celery.
- Supports a wide range of Python versions.
- Deploy and scale applications quickly usin preconfigured Droplets.
- Dedicated Stack for Django application deployments, with all necessary software packages.
- Fully managed databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL).
- Easy to use UI with a wide range of deployment options.
- Create backups of your entire server configuration or particular disks.
- Optimize performance with integrated monitoring tools.
- Lots of support resources and quick response to customer queries.
Here’s a breakdown of the pricing for DigitalOcean’s services that support Django:
- Basic Droplets: Starting from $4.00 per month.
- CPU-Optimized Droplets: Starting at $42.00 per month.
- General Purpose Droplets: Starting at $63.00 per month.
- Memory-Optimized Droplets: Starting at $84.00 per month.
- Storage-Optimized Droplets: Starting at $131.00 per month.
- Managed Databases: Starting from $15.00 per month.
- Spaces Object Storage: Starting from $5.00 per month.
Droplets are Linux-based containers. You can start with one of those plans, depending on how much space and power you need, then opt for add-ons, like database management or object storage.
Bluehost is a beginner-friendly hosting provider that offers several services to cater to Django users. Whether you are looking for virtual private server (VPS) hosting or dedicated hosting, Bluehost has you covered.
Bluehost doesn’t explicitely state in its pricing that it supports Django, but certain plans provide all the functionality necessary.
Django-friendly features ⚙️
- Easy installation of Django with SSH access.
- Automatic setup of virtual environment.
- Ability to host multiple Django apps on one server.
- Continual uptime monitoring.
- Flexibility to scale your server resources as per your Django app’s needs.
- Dual quad-processor servers to ensure that your Django applications will perform at peak performance at all times.
- 24/7 customer support, and a comprehensive knowledge base, packed with tutorials and guides to help you navigate any issue you may encounter with your Django applications.
If you want to host Django apps on Bluehost, you’ll need to use the VPS or dedicated hosting plans.
These plans offer more robust and dedicated resources, ensuring your Django applications run smoothly, even during peak traffic times.
Additionally, these plans provide root access, which allows for true control over the server environment, including the ability to install custom software, making it an excellent solution for Django beginners.
Here are the VPS and dedicated plans:
- Standard VPS Hosting: Starting at $29.99 per month.
- Enhanced VPS Hosting: Starting at $39.99 per month.
- Ultimate VPS Hosting: Starting at $69.99 per month.
- Dedicated Hosting: Starting at $89.98 per month.
Known for its top-notch customer support and impressive performance, SiteGround is a hosting platform that earns its strong reputation.
Whether you’re a newbie just dipping your toes into the Django waters or a seasoned pro with multiple Django apps under your belt, SiteGround has a range of plans to suit your specific needs.
With solid uptime, easy scalability, and a plethora of Django-friendly features, SiteGround is a reliable partner in your web development journey.
Let’s delve deeper into what makes SiteGround some of the best hosting for Django.
Django-friendly features ⚙️
- Easy installation of Django, with specialized tools.
- Git pre-installed on their servers.
- Free SSL certificates included with all plans.
- Daily backups of your data.
- SuperCacher technology for improved speed and performance.
- 24/7 support team is available to troubleshoot any issues you may encounter.
If you want to use SiteGround for Django hosting, you’ll need to skip the shared plans and go straight to SiteGround’s cloud hosting plans:
- Jump Start Cloud Hosting: Starting at $100.00 per month.
- Business Cloud Hosting: Starting at $200.00 per month.
- Business Plus Cloud Hosting: Starting at $300.00 per month.
- Super Power Cloud Hosting: Starting at $400.00 per month.
Try the best Django hosting today 🥳
Choosing the right hosting provider for your Django-based app is critical to ensure that it stays up and running, secure, and scalable.
In this guide, we detailed some of the best hosting options for Django, along with their Django-friendly features and pricing.
While each hosting provider offers different qualities, it’s crucial to consider your website’s specific needs. So, consider all the factors we’ve mentioned above before making a final decision.
Do you still have any questions about choosing the best hosting for Django applications? Let us know in the comments!