A 14-year-old girl was electrocuted Monday night

Fill in some text

MONROE, Michigan (WTVG) -

A 14-year-old girl is dead after touching a downed electrical line in her backyard, police said. 

Multiple emergency agencies responded to a report of a 14-year-old girl electrocuted in the 1400 block of Peters Street in Monroe on Monday. 

According to the Monroe Public Safety Department, the teen accidentally grabbed a charged electrical line that came down from storms rolling through the area. 

Police said the girl was still in contact with the energized electrical line when first responders arrived at the scene 

DTE Energy crews disconnected the power lines so first responders could help the girl but she died by the time the scene was safe. 

According to Monroe Police detectives, the girl was walking with a friend 

in her backyard when they believed they could “smell a bonfire.” 

The victim reached for what she believed was a stick when she was electrocuted by a charged electrical line. 

The safety department said it is working to support the families of the victim.